Req: Shift 2 Unleashed Support

Do you have any modes or games you would like to see? Let us know.
Poxwald

Req: Shift 2 Unleashed Support

Post by Poxwald »

It feels wrong requesting anything, you guys are doing such an awesome job for all us fanatec users. Nevertheless, any chance for supporting this game? I'm pretty sure there is a way to hook into telemetry data, as there is an option in the Unofficial Community Patch (UCP) done by the guys over at nogripracing that dumps telemetry to disk. Here's how they describe it:
When you enable LiveTrace, your system will continually output physics data (engine data, suspension data, aero data) every 1/10th of a second to a file in the root of you <S2U installation> folder. This add-on is mostly intended as a convenience add-on for tinkerers who wish to tweak the game physics data and record the physics engine output. Note that this might lead to short hiccups as the data is flushed to disk. If in doubt, don't enable this.
In any case I really appreciate the work you've done, fantastic program.

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Re: Req: Shift 2 Unleashed Support

Post by Bose321 »

That sounds really good, since the original game does not support this. Could you provide me with a link? It would be great to be able to support this game I think.
Fanaleds. Enhance your racing experience. Personal portfolio.

Poxwald

Post by Poxwald »

Bose321 wrote:That sounds really good, since the original game does not support this. Could you provide me with a link? It would be great to be able to support this game I think.
Here is a link to the thread on the nogrip forum (I was quoting from post #2). There are links there for the patch and the patch wiki. The patch takes the form of a game unpacker and generic mod manager--the patch itself being one included mod, and the telemetry dump/trace being another. You can see the trace mod here in the last screenshot in step 1 of the installation instructions. The trace mod is actually just a single modified file: ..\SHIFT 2 UNLEASHED\vehicles\physics\physicstweaker.mrdf, though I don't know whether it's dependent on the unofficial patch and/or unpacked game. Let me know if you want me to send you that or any other file.

Naturally I'd be happy to test things or root around in game files if it would help, just let me know.

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Post by Bose321 »

Thanks for the links. If we find some time we'll have a look around. I'll keep you posted. :)

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Post by Bose321 »

I don't think we are going to focus on this. It seems like a lot of tinkering needed to get it working. We also have to think about average user, and the way we see it right now, we don't think it's worth the effort. I am not going to say we will never support this, but right now we have more pressing concerns.

Poxwald

Post by Poxwald »

Hey, thanks for taking a look. I can't honestly say I think supporting the game would be worth much effort either, but when I saw that mention in the readme I thought it might be low-hanging fruit.

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Post by DirkT »

It's not only our effort, it's the effort for every user. We'd like to have as much out of the box support that's possible. And with these kinds of tweaks that just wont work. RBR is one of the games with similar setup and the problems that come with it are anoying, because most of it we can't do anything about, because it isn't our source.
Last edited by DirkT on 14 Jun 2013, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.