Request: Brake Rumble via Telemetry [Already supported]

Do you have any modes or games you would like to see? Let us know.
zild1221

Request: Brake Rumble via Telemetry [Already supported]

Post by zild1221 »

Well, this may be a shot in the dark... You already have it set up to rumble based on percent of brake applied. I was wondering if instead you could base the brake rumble off of telemetry. Other software does this with bass shakers and things of that nature. Nothing supports the CSP brake though.
Last edited by DirkT on 11 Oct 2012, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Re: Request: Brake Rumble via Telemetry

Post by Bose321 »

Hi,

In fact we actually do this with the games that support this via their telemetry.

I hope you're not confusing the threshold slider with this. ;)
Fanaleds. Enhance your racing experience. Personal portfolio.

zild1221

Post by zild1221 »

So what you are saying is that it already uses telemetry? What exactly does the threshold slider do than? I know less sensitive, more sensitive, but I still don't quite get it. Does it go off of tire lock up?

I appreciate the clarification.

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Post by Bose321 »

Yes, all games that support something like brake lock in their telemetry have this.

The threshold slider is the sensitivity bar. When it's at 100, it will vibrate your brake pedal on the slightest wheel lock. Lowering this slider will make it less sensitive. I can't go too far in the technical details myself but I think Dirk will be happy to give you an exact answer tomorrow.
Fanaleds. Enhance your racing experience. Personal portfolio.

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Post by DirkT »

Like Bose said (and you could read in the tooltip :)) the threshold is a sensitivity setting. Our implementation can't be compared to the Fanatec's built in ABS feature. That only uses the brake angle, we're using the telemetry info.

quote from the Games supported PDF:
Virtual Lock Rumble:
Based on RPM and Speed of the car to detect Locking, this works pretty good, but is no where near as accurate as the
Real Lock Rumble. For instance, clutch wearing could affect this accuracy.

Real Lock Rumble:
Based on the Speed of the front wheels of the cars, relative to the speed of the vehicle. This works always, in any
scenario.
So there are in fact two methods in our little plugin. First the virtual method, which keeps track of the Speed/RPM ratio. If you ignore gearratios and would link the engine directly to the wheels the RPM would represent the tire-rotation-speed, and the speed is just, well the speed... So when the wheels turn slower (or stop alltogether) and the speed keeps constant. It means where locking up the tires. This ratio is checked for each individual gear, because of the different ratios.

The second method is easier, because it is based on games which have individual rotation output for wheels.

Unfortunately not all games are supported, because the lack of some of the games telemetry output. E.g. all Simbin games lack Virtual support because the telemetry for simbin doesn't provide the brake pedal value. We use the brake pedal value only to verify that the racer is in-fact braking. It rumbles far too often if you leave that out of the equation. Also another problem with virtual detection, what happens if the racer decides to push his Clutch, this would mean the engine can freely rotate at any speed, making it impossible to detect if the wheels are (almost) locking. So when the clutch pedal is engaged the rumble stops because we just can't be sure anymore.

So this in addition to Bose's explenation should help you I think.
Last edited by DirkT on 11 Oct 2012, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.