Weird issue with controllers

Have you found a bug? Please report it here.
shockman

Weird issue with controllers

Post by shockman »

Hello,

I ran into a weird issue with Fanaleds - but I am not sure at this time whether it is a bug in Fanaleds or somewhere with other software.

I have three controllers connected to my PC (running Windows 8.1): Logitech G25 based steering wheel, Sli-Pro and JL-G25 interface, which is basically a Leo Bodnar's BU0836 controller board loaded with custom firmware, so it identifies as JL-G25 (I have a custom steering wheel using G25 electronics and the JL-G25 interface came with it as button controller. Currently I am using it as my pedal interface as all my buttons are connected to Sli-Pro).

I have two rotary switches connected to Sli-Pro.

However, when I have the JL-G25 board connected, and I try to use the "learn switches" function, I get the following behaviour (also see attachment): When I rotate one rotary switch, instead of identifying itself separately, it somehow "changes" the value of one of the JL-G25 axes. The other rotary switch identifies itself properly, but when I turn the steering wheel, the steering wheel changes the value of the rotary switch.
(I hope I am making myself clear).

When I disconnect the JL-G25 interface board, all the rotary switches and the steering wheel axis work as expected - all of them are identified properly (see attachment). That's how I assigned functions to the two rotary switches. However, when I connect the pedal interface and start iRacing, one side of Sli-Pro display (i.e. all 6 digits) works only for a brief moment and then turns itself off. I assume that's the consequence of the "interference" between JL-G25 and the other controllers (?).

I used SliMax Manager before, and there I have not experienced this issue. Also the control panel shows all the controllers connected and responding as expected. Additionally the main Fanaleds window does not show any identified wheel (should it?).

As I stated - maybe this is not a bug at all. Nevertheless I will be grateful for any suggestions how to remedy this issue. Thanks in advance...
Attachments
Learn switches - pedals disconnected.PNG
The Sli-Pro and the steering wheel identified correctly without the pedal interface
Learn switches - with wheen and SLI-Pro -comments.png
Indicating which values change when identifying switches

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Re: Weird issue with controllers

Post by DirkT »

This one has me baffled, Fanaleds uses the DirectX subsystem to read out all input related information out of joystickcontrollers. So in theory, it can't be Fanaleds at fault. But I am thinking about what could go wrong.

Just shooting in the dark here, but does you JL-G25 interface have the same identity as the SLI-pro? Does it share it's serial number for instance, does it share the USB productID? You can view this in the devicemanager under the details tab and then select Hardware Ids. The first and second line tell you the Vendor and ProductID.

Still not sure there is something we can do, but I'm very much interested as to what is happening here. I'll try and think of some test(code) to allow for more insight.

shockman

Re: Weird issue with controllers

Post by shockman »

To answer your question: no it does not look like these devices share any of the information you suggest. I checked the HardwareIDs and the following is the result:
SliPro:
HID\VID_1DD2&PID_0103&REV_0022
HID\VID_1DD2&PID_0103

JL-G25:
HID\VID_16C0&PID_27B9&REV_0121
HID\VID_16C0&PID_27B9

What I find weird is that I do not see any issues whatsoever when using these devices - As I said, I have been using this combination with other software for SliPro and I had no issues whatsoever. But maybe I am missing something here myself. In the control panel for game devices, all the devices work as expected. Also I checked them via DIView, and all three devices play nice.

I am more than happy to test any ideas you may have :).