Fanaleds 2.2h: Xbox Controller refuses to reconnect

Have you found a bug? Please report it here.
LogiForce

Post by LogiForce »

Hi Gerben and Dirk,

I wanted to play The Crew today with just my controller but noticed some issues.
Every time I had my XBOX 360 Controller on upon booting up my PC, the device would work fine and would show up in "Apparaten en Printers" (sorry, Dutch Windows... but I guess fellow Dutchies should know where I mean). Or what I think is called "Devices and Printers" in English Windows versions.

However, when I would go to the toilet or whatever and come back. My 360 controller would go into powersaving mode and shut itself off. Sadly though, when I pushed the Xbox button on the controller to reconnect... nada game control. This while controller did connect to the wireless receiver. Odd!
The controller would normally show up in said Devices window next to the receiver, both are separate. But only the receiver worked and got reconnected, even when I plugged it into a different USB port. The controller however did not.

After a couple of reboots I started to pull my other USB (HID) devices but that didn't matter. I tried to reinstall the drivers, but that didn't matter either.
Than finally I noticed that it was only after some software got started when Windows was starting up. Going through all my apps next to my Windows Clock on the bottom right... I finally had a 'Eureka!' moment.
As soon as I closed Fanaleds 2.2h the xbox 360 controller suddenly reconnected immediately.

So in short. I don't know what it is guys, but your software is blocking the reconnection of my Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows.

Hopefully you guys can fix it before the holidays so that it won't bug others when they wish to enjoy their Steam Christmas Sale purchases. ;)

(I am on Windows 8.1 btw.)
Last edited by LogiForce on 03 Dec 2014, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
System: Intel i7 2600k - Noctua NF-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 - Vengeance LP 16GB - MSI 480GTX - AverMedia Live Gamer HD - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB - Creative SB X-Fi - Logitech Z-560 - Philips 32PFL9604
Input: CSW v2 - CSP v2 - CS BMW GT - CS Formula - CSS SQ

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Re: Fanaleds 2.2h: Xbox Controller refuses to reconnect

Post by Bose321 »

That's very odd. Sadly I don't have a wireless version to test, so I haven't noticed this problem before. I'll ask Dirk if he has an idea. We are currently working on another version that fixes something else, so maybe if we can find out what it is, we can add it to the next version.
Fanaleds. Enhance your racing experience. Personal portfolio.

LogiForce

Post by LogiForce »

If I ever need to do something or give extra info, I'll be here to help. :)
Otherwise I wish you the best of luck figuring out what's causing this.

To me it seems as if it hangs in between driver initialization and the DirectInput adding of the HID devices as a 'game controller'. I might be wrong though, but I do think it lies somewhere in between tapping into DX and passing through unsupported (by Fanaleds) devices so that they can connect normally.

Than again... I might be totally off.

Anyways... fijne feestdagen alvast! :D
System: Intel i7 2600k - Noctua NF-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 - Vengeance LP 16GB - MSI 480GTX - AverMedia Live Gamer HD - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB - Creative SB X-Fi - Logitech Z-560 - Philips 32PFL9604

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Post by Bose321 »

Dirk did some searching, and he thinks this discussion is about the problem we're having: https://github.com/signal11/hidapi/issues/23

Might be a bit technical, but it seems like there's no solution for it yet.

LogiForce

Post by LogiForce »

I just noticed that when I have my CSWv2 plugged in and recognized, the XBOX 360 wireless gamepad is also recognized.
Yet when I than disconnect the CSWv2 from the PC, and disconnect the XBOX 360 wireless gamepad as well (by removing the batteries) and try to reconnect the gamepad by pressing the XBOX button... no response. I don't even get the windows sound that a USB device has been connected.

Yet when I plug the CSWv2 back in and than try to reconnect the gamepad it doesn't get recognized either. :?
Close Fanaleds and 'USB connect sound' and we have a gamepad added again. :shock:

Strange huh?
Shame there seems to be no way around it though if you guys think it is what it is.
Last edited by LogiForce on 10 Dec 2014, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.

DirkT
Fanaleds developer

Post by DirkT »

It has to to with read/write locking for USB devices, apparently something (important) in Windows can't get a read handle for the Xbox controller. This is however not really something I can do much about. All USB devices that are read or written to by Fanaleds are opened up in shared mode. Which means Fanaleds shouldn't block any other program...

I'm afraid you're having one of the few corner cases where it looks like Fanaleds does add some complexity to your situation, but we just can't really do anything about it I'm afraid.

jasjeet

Interfering with Xbox 360 Pad

Post by jasjeet »

There is some sort of interference with FanaLEDs since the last update or 2.

When i disconnect my 360 wireless pad, upon reconnecting it fails to be detected by Windows Gamepad settings (jpy.cpl) in Control Panel.
This also means its no longer picked up by Xpadder either. It seems to work on Steams Big Picture Interface, but some games like Dark Souls fail to respond.

As soon as i exit FanaLEDs program, Xpadder instantly detects the 360 pad again. Otherwise i have to reboot, and the pad will work again until i disconnect it and reconnect.

i7 3770
8 GB RAM
P8Z77I Deluxe
GTX 970
Seasonic 620W
Logitech MK520

rageworthy

Interfering with Xbox 360 Pad

Post by rageworthy »

I'm have the EXACT same issue! I just registered here to reply to this very thread. My xbox 360 controller will NOT reconnect to the computer if fanaleds is running. The moment I close fanaleds, the controller appears in the game controllers settings dialog. The controller will "sync" with the computer, getting the 1/4 light, but windows doesn't connect to the controller IF fanaleds is running. The strange thing is, this problem doesn't keep the controller from connecting initially, it only appears to block reconnecting (like after the controller goes to sleep), then requiring a restart to connect the controller again.

windows 7 x64
fanaleds 2.3
HDE xbox 360 wireless controller receiver for windows
Microsoft xbox 360 wireless controller
microsoft xbox 360 Accessories 1.2 driver
Last edited by rageworthy on 30 Apr 2015, 04:04, edited 3 times in total.

Bose321
Fanaleds developer

Post by Bose321 »

I've merged the posts from the new thread because they seem to be the same as in this thread. There is no solution (for now).